Fixing IE10 from rendering in IE7 mode

I was browsing a few articles I’d written years ago in IE10 when I realized Internet Explorer was breaking my commenting system, Disqus. Luckily Disqus provided a link to help troubleshoot the problem. After some searching through IE Developer tools and my own template source code, it seems like this Blogger template was designed with IE7 in mind.In the header it had this meta tag:

meta content='IE=EmulateIE7' http-equiv='X-UA-Compatible'

This line was causing IE10 (and probably IE9) to switch Documents Mode to IE7. I replaced it with this line courtesy of stackexchange:

meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge"

IE10 rendering problems on My Technology Fetish should now be fixed. (Hopefully without introducing any bugs…)

What’s weird is this is a pretty standard template that Blogger offers. It’s not their new dynamic template because, well, I think they are ugly. Blogger has lacked advancement for years and it makes me wonder, how long until Google kills Blogger? They just killed Google Reader. Reader sat for years without any new development and I can think of a few other products that have decayed for years: Feedburner and Blogger.

All the more reason to switch to WordPress like I did elsewhere.

For me, writing is one of those things that becomes more difficult the longer I don’t do it. The more I write, the easier it becomes. Here I go…

I’m a Black Box Test Designer

More accurately I’ve passed the Association for Software Testing‘s (AST) Black Box Software Testing  (BBST) Test Design class. Test Design is a survey class, students are introduced to 30+ types of tests but there is only enough time to focus on a few of them: risk-based testing, specification-based testing and domain testing. In December I passed the Foundations course and a few days ago I started the Bug Advocacy course (there are 3 courses in the BBST series) which sets me on the path to meet my goal of taking all 3 courses this year. I also signed up for the Instructors course towards the end of the month, wahoo!

I agreed to have my name listed on AST’s graduates website but just for fun here is my certificate of completion:

The Test Design instructors thought I understood enough of the information to pass me. Test Design was like the Foundations class – a lot of reading, labs and collaboration. In the time between Test Design ending and Bug Advocacy starting I cleaned up some of the labs but I haven’t finished. My goal will be to turn these labs (work products) to build out my testing portfolio. Some day I might even make that portfolio public so others can see what I’ve done and perhaps use it as inspiration to build their own.