August has been crazy busy with a mixture of travel, AST elections, my day job and the annual CAST conference. Some recent updates:
- Joined my first TestAutomationU course on WebDriverIO. I already use WebDriverIO v4 but figured since it was using v5 it might be fun to see what is new and how someone else approaches designing their framework. So far I’ve picked up a few different libraries and approaches to config files. At some point I’ll go back through the class. code up the examples and put them in my repo on GitHub. Always a good idea to show your work / build a portfolio!
- Finished reading Bad Blood. Oh such a fascinating, fun and yet frustrating book on the blood testing startup Theranos, it’s founder Elizabeth Holmes and how she was able to deceive so many people. Essentially the company used the threat of lawsuits, internal security and departmentalizations of employees to keep most people from knowing the truth or learning too much. From an a casual observer I’m fascinated how, despite terrible working conditions and low levels of trust within the organization they attracted top talent with the promise of helping revolutionize the healthcare industry. I mean that’s how powerful a message and a founder can be. There’s also a lot to be said for how smart and powerful companies are able hide information and the true power of journalism to fight against it.
- I’ve started on and am half way through Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture. I’m not a huge video game person but it’s quite good.
The Association for Software Testing
- The AST had our board of director elections (run by myself and Simon Peter Schrijver).
- We welcomed two return members: Eric Proegler and Ilari Henrik Aegerter and three new board members: Lena Pejgan, Louise Perold, and James Thomas!
- Turns out running a conference is time consuming, who would have guessed?Lol
- I didn’t spend much time in conference sessions at CAST due to work, networking with a few people, and generally trying to keep the conference going smoothly. The funny thing is I still learned a lot!
- I’ve written a few summaries of sessions that I hope to post recaps for but just need to find the time.
- Now that the conference is over, a lot of work falls to my role as the Treasurer to wrap things up with speakers, etc. Its fine work but it takes time.
- In addition to travelling with the family to Florida for CAST we also hit up Disney World a few times during our week long stay. Never been and despite it being overcast a number of days it was still incredibly hot. Thank goodness for the great weather in SoCal.
- The first round of updates for my slides and presentation at STARWEST are done. Yay! Now to continue iterating!
There’s so much more to write about regarding CAST, my time on the board of directors, etc. so look out for those up comings posts!